Saturday 21 January 2017

A Golden Perspective


There are many bright spots to living here in Mozambique. Some of them are obvious, others take some digging to find, and still others only God can show you the gold of the moment. 

Obvious gold:

1. A toddler running up to me excitedly, "Mana Gloria! I'm going home!" (He was going to visit his dad over the Christmas holidays)

2. A first grader showing me his leg after the cast was removed. He was so happy he could now walk and play with his friends.

3. A preschooler driving a stationary play car. I asked where we were going, to which he replied, "South Africa, to visit Mana __________!" The missionary who oversees his dorm was in South Africa for a break. I guess he missed her and wanted to visit.

4. Lost in translation. The children having been watching the movie, Frozen. One Saturday morning as I was getting ready, I heard out my window, "Where'd it go, where'd it go?" Their understanding to the lyrics, "Let it go, let it go!" It brought a smile to my face.

5. Watching the toddlers open their Christmas presents. Each child receives a new outfit complete with underwear. One 3 year old was so excited to see that he had not one, but two new pairs of underwear. The joy on his face was contagious.

6. Meeting with fellow missionaries this past Wednesday evening for our weekly small-group meeting and sharing bible verses that have been meaningful to us in our lives. I loved seeing glimpses into the lives of those I live with and to know what encourages them to keep going or what has helped them in certain seasons of their lives.

7. Being able to communicate with a store employee to ask if they sold batteries. Sure I used the wrong word for battery but I was able to get my point across.

Digging for gold:

1. Learning the gifts and abilities that I have and gaining confidence in myself by overseeing a clinic and the health needs of 250 children in a country where I do not speak the language.

2. We have had a few babies come to us at 2-4 weeks of age severely malnourished or on their way to being there. Thankfully by their parents or grandmothers bringing them to the milk program their health and weight have improved with being given formula.

Gold only God can see:

1. I received a call from a fellow missionary saying that a child had been brought to the centre, dead. He was the son of one of our workers. The mom was working that day and received a call from her sister who was looking after him saying her son was not doing well. It being holiday season, traffic was bad so it was thought best to bring him to the centre clinic and be assessed there instead of her going home and then bringing him to hospital. Within the time it took to come to the centre, he died. He was still warm to touch and looked to be sleeping but vital signs were absent. We wrapped him in a blanket and made arrangements for him to go to the hospital mortuary. 

God's gold of this moment - "you did well, receive My peace", through the counsel and prayer of a trusted friend.

2. At the end of a busy and frustrating day, feeling that I did not measure up to my standards, that I disappointed people, that I did not fix the problems presented to me, that children are still sick and we don't have answers for them. 

God's gold - "you did so well today, I am proud of you." 

These are the words that I hold on to and encourage me to keep going forward. His words are what matter and are gold to me always and forever.

1 comment:

  1. I love how my/our Father supports you and am proud of how you are serving others and Him.God honours Mom and my prayers for you.Ilove you Gloria Elizabeth,Dad

    ReplyDelete